Medicine is a fascinating career option and quite the altruistic one too. I mean, in terms of job satisfaction, it doesn’t get much better than this does it? Working towards helping people heal and feel better, and even saving lives! Of course doing something so vital and noble means the rewards are not just of the emotional kind, but also of the monetary kind as it should be. Not everyone is cut out to be a doctor though, let’s be honest. Some of us (me most definitely included) don’t have the patience, or the discipline, or the money to go to medical school and undergo the intensive training that is required for a job of this magnitude.
If being a doctor was easy, that would just diminish the aura of being a doctor wouldn’t it? If doctors were as common as businessmen say, then the medical industry would end up like the business world, with a lot of good representatives of their profession, and a whole bunch of bad ones too. This in a field as important as medicine is patently unacceptable. So the difficultly level is justifiably high, but where does that leave those people who still want to contribute to the medical field but can’t due to the aforementioned reasons become doctors? Well, there are still a whole host of options available for people like that, and the requirements to accomplish these careers are less taxing than a doctor’s degree. Since I’m Canadian, that’s the geographical sphere this article will pertain to.
5 Career options in the Canadian medical field
- Medical Perfusionist: In the medical field, as we all know, people need to be hooked up to a variety of respiratory and circulation machines like a bypass machine for example. These machines can’t be handled by just anybody can they? You need special, trained individuals to do that. The people who do handle these machines are called Perfusionists, and though certain medical institutions do require a master’s degree to qualify for the post, not all do. A majority only require a completed bachelor’s degree and a certificate from a relevant program, or even a specific bachelor’s degree in perfusion itself. Entry level positions may start from $ 54,000 to $67,000. You’ll find a list of accredited institutes who offer this program here.
- Healthcare product managers. The job title is pretty self-explanatory. Healthcare product managers basically deal in everything from product development, to the marketing, strategizing, and sales side of drugs and other medical products. The requirements for this gig? A bachelor’s degree in business or marketing should suffice, and a bit of experience as an intern in the relevant field is a big bonus. The salary may range from $68,000 to $95,000. If this is a line that interests you, check out the course available at Sauder.
- Occupational health and safety technicians and specialists. This job profile requires the individual to judge work environments for safety and hazards, helping prevent on-job accidents and making workplaces more secure and less dangerous. They also work on designing programs to improve safety standards at workplaces. A specialist would require a bachelor’s degree, while a technician wouldn’t need more than a high school diploma or equivalent. Salaries range from $53,000 to $72,000.
- Recreational therapists. A recreational therapist requires a relevant bachelor’s degree. It’s his or her job to plan, co-ordinate and oversee treatment programs in a recreational environment for the disabled, the ill or the injured. This covers a wide variety of creative options like art and craft, games, music, dance and sports, and focuses on both the physical and the mental side of providing healing to patients. Hourly rates for this profession range from $18 to $24.00.
- Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR. As a medical administrative you will be required to handle the business side of a medical facility like a hospital, clinic or physician’s office. This includes maintaining Electronic Health Records (EHR) and handling software specifically designed for this. You can go to medical administrative assistant school or even do an online course from the likes of Career Step for example, and get the required training to earn the certificate for this job profile.
You can be sure the healthcare industry is never going to run out of business so the demand for jobs is a given. You can enjoy high job security and the joy of knowing that you’re working in a field that is in some way contributing to the lives of others.